Monday, April 13, 2015

The parcel shelf doggy protector

Long ago, I used to take my buddy's dog for rides in the roadster with a blue fleece blanket laid down on the parcel shelf to protect from sand, dirt and fur.

Fast forward another 1/2 dozen years, and now I've got two dogs of my own. Trust me when I say that both cannot fit in the SL comfortably. But unfortunately, we're down to only one now, so I thought I would make something a little more aesthetically pleasing than a blue blanket.

I found some outdoor cotton canvas that I thought would wear pretty well, and traced out a pattern from the wooden parcel inserts.

The cardboard pattern

Base panel
Sewn together with back panel and rare earth magnets
The protector stays in place by folding over the tonneau cover opening and a dozen rare earth magnets affix it to the metal. The original owner had drilled holes in a few places for seatbelts to hold his infant children (whom I have met) in place. I re-used one hole to mount an eye-bolt which tethers my dog in place.

What I found out after, is that the surface is too smooth to hold her in place on corners and during braking. So I have since cut a piece of entryway carpeted mat to fit. Not as nice to look at, but makes sure that the original carpeting stays in good shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment