Monday, April 13, 2015

Removing the bumper guards

Long ago, a friend of mine was visiting from Switzerland, who is also an MB fanatic. He noted that the bumper guards were not included originally, and added for North American spec cars. That meant that I could take them off without altering my "collector" status. Here's a couple from the early days with the bumper guards (and whitewalls):


Additionally, some of the rubber trim was deteriorating to the point where it was ready to fall off, so I got out the ratchet and took them off.

I like the cleaner, original look. I used some stainless steel carriage bolts to fill the holes left behind. I polished the crap out of them, so they are pretty shiny. I had planned on getting some chrome ones on eBay, but haven't got around to it, as they look pretty good as is.

No comments:

Post a Comment